While people choose plastic surgery for a variety of reasons, some procedures are designed to correct functional issues along with cosmetic concerns. Procedures such as breast reduction and rhinoplasty are more commonly recognized as medical necessities; breast reduction alleviates discomfort caused by overly large breasts and rhinoplasty improves breathing and facial proportion, but there are many other procedures that can also provide solutions to medical issues.
You may have heard of the facial rejuvenation surgery called blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, but have you ever considered it as an option to improve vision or relieve severe migraines? Dr. David Whiteman performs this facial rejuvenation procedure to remove excess skin from the upper eyelid and/or fat deposits underneath the eyes to create a brighter, more alert appearance. As skin ages it becomes inelastic and begins to droop, compromising the eye’s natural crease and shape. Heavy excess skin may hang over and cover the eyelashes and/or begin to obstruct a person’s normal vision. In addition to resolving vision obstruction, some surgeons have also attributed blepharoplasty to migraine relief for patients. Doctors say that eyelid surgery allows access to sensory nerves that cause head pain. According to a recent study conducted by the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, about 88 percent of patients who underwent surgery reported a reduction in migraine pain and frequency. Head pain can be attributed to the critical nerves compressed by fat or tissue buildup behind the eyelid.
Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) is used to eliminate signs of aging on the upper and/or lower eyelids. Eyelid surgery can be performed on the upper eyelids to reduce a hooded appearance caused by sagging eyelid skin and/or on the lower eyelids to remove fatty tissue that contributes to bags. Eyelid surgery can be combined with other plastic surgery procedures or performed alone depending on the patient’s needs.
For example, Dr. Whiteman may also perform brow lift surgery or otoplasty to help balance the results of a rhinoplasty, as well as help eliminate additional medical problems. To learn more about the procedures available at Southern Plastic Surgery, please visit his website and connect with him via Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for news and updates.
If you keep up with my blog, you probably know that although I’m a plastic surgeon who offers body contouring procedures like tummy tuck and liposuction, I also try to teach my patients the importance of overall health and wellness. Many people view plastic surgery as a “quick-fix,” but I believe it’s still important to eat healthy and exercise regularly even with this option. In fact, I advise patients to be as close to their goal weight as possible before surgery so they are more likely to obtain the results they’re after. Since getting rid of excess fat is easier said than done, we’ve compiled a list of helpful fat loss tips:
- Start an exercise routine, and don’t be afraid to switch it up – It’s important to work your way into an exercise routine after speaking with a physician about the state of your current health. If you aren’t sure where to start, it may be beneficial to seek the guidance of a personal trainer. Once you’ve gotten started, don’t get discouraged if you get to a point and stop seeing results. Most people eventually hit a plateau with their exercise training, but this doesn’t mean you should stop working out. It means it’s time to vary your exercise routine.
- Eat right – We are all fairly aware of what we should and shouldn’t eat, but we can’t forget that the timing of when and how often we eat makes a difference in our digestion. A study from The New England Journal of Medicine actually showed that eating small meals more frequently throughout the day helps people lose weight because it keeps the metabolism going. It’s also beneficial to digestion to eat slowly and chew each bite thoroughly. Try to prepare food at home and limit eating out, but be sure to make healthy choices when you do eat out.
- Keep a journal – Having trouble pinpointing the cause of your excess weight? Keep a food and exercise journal. Include when, how much, and exactly what you ate and how you felt after you ate it, as well as your daily workouts. It’s hard to deny it if you’re not following the healthy diet you are supposed to be, or if you’re slacking on your workouts when it’s written down. Making note of how you felt after eating certain foods and during workouts can help you determine what makes you feel good and what doesn’t so that you can make necessary adjustments.
- Liquid calories count – Like it or not, many of the beverages we consume contain calories too. Avoid sugary beverages, and choose low- or no-calorie options like coffee, tea, or water as a substitute when you can. In fact, green tea is known for its ability to stimulate the metabolism and facilitate weight loss. Just remember, adding cream and sugar also adds calories.
- Get enough sleep – Too much or too little sleep can be counter-productive to your weight loss efforts. Although everyone is a little different, 7-8 hours of sleep is favorable, while 9 or more may be adverse.
Maintaining health and wellness is not always easy. I see many patients who have been trying to reach their goals on their own, but just need that little extra push plastic surgery can provide to target problem areas. To learn more about your cosmetic surgery options, visit our website or schedule a consultation today. If you need help kick starting your fitness routine or diet plan, I work closely with ACE certified personal trainer Daryl Madison who will be sure to get you on track. For more health and wellness tips, connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
If you haven’t picked up your copy of Best Self Atlanta magazine’s annual pink issue dedicated to breast cancer awareness, then be sure to find one today. You won’t want to miss Dr. David Whiteman’s October featured procedure where he discusses liposuction along with the ever-popular body contouring procedure, tummy tuck. Also this month, patients who are interested in breast augmentation and choose Allergan’s Natrelle® gel breast implants can receive up to 20 units of FREE Botox® or FREE Latisse® from the manufacturer.