With the time change, temperature shift, and colorful changing of leaves, fall is considered a transitional season that makes most of us want to remain indoors for the long winter ahead. The upcoming holidays are also enticing temptations to detract from our diets. Double board certified in plastic and reconstructive surgery with an interest in health and wellness, Dr. David Whiteman reminds patients to remain pro-active about maintaining their healthy lifestyles throughout the seasons. Below are some healthy living tips to help patients through the holiday season:
- Dress in layers: As the weather fluctuates as temperatures often do in Atlanta, it is important to wear layers of wind-shielding clothing. Instead of wearing one heavy jacket, layers allow us to remove or add clothing according to our temperature and better adjust to the weather.
- Don’t ignore skincare: Though temperatures have cooled down, the sun’s damaging UV rays still have the same effects. Protect your skin by regularly applying sunscreen and maintaining your skincare regimen.
- Limit holiday treats: Halloween treats, peppermint, gingerbread, and hearty family meals can all attribute to weight gain during the fall and winter season. While it is okay to indulge every once and a while, be sure to balance your daily intake with healthy snacks spread throughout the day.
- Stay hydrated: Water helps us control appetite and recover from exercise. It also helps us stay healthy through the drying seasons that can cause illnesses.
- Get involved with autumn: Participate in seasonal outdoor activities like pumpkin picking, corn mazes, raking leaves, holiday fun runs, or ice skating. By changing up your exercise routine and including a fun activity, it is easier to stay motivated.
By maintaining a healthy diet, a regular exercise routine, and lifestyle habits, patients will prolong and improve plastic surgery results. If you’re looking to jumpstart a lifestyle change, Jackie Madison, our office administrator, also serves as our in-house certified NESTA lifestyle and weight management coach.
If you’re interested in cosmetic surgery at Southern Plastic Surgery, please contact us to schedule your consultation. Connect with Dr. Whiteman on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the latest plastic and reconstructive surgery news and information.