It’s no secret that in recent years, men in the US have become more and more comfortable opting for plastic surgery and nonsurgical cosmetic treatments to help improve their appearance. According to the annual report recently released by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), this trend showed no sign of slowing down last year. The once-held belief of cosmetic procedures being exclusively for women has long come and gone.
In my personal experience, male patients typically seek out cosmetic procedures that can help them look (and in turn) feel younger. A youthful, refreshed look is more important than ever in a such a competitive professional world. To help explain how men utilized cosmetic surgery and other treatments last year, I have outlined what I consider to be some of the more interesting figures in the recent ASAPS report:
- The five most commonly-performed plastic surgery procedures for male patients were liposuction, male breast reduction, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, and tummy tuck surgery.
- The three most popular procedures for men (liposuction, male breast reduction, and eyelid surgery) made up nearly 70% of all cosmetic surgery procedures for male patients.
- Male breast reduction surgery for gynecomastia continues to surge in popularity each year. The number of male breast reduction procedures performed in 2018 was 22% higher than in 2017 and nearly 50% higher than in 2014.
- Among procedures that I perform on both men and women, the surgery performed on the highest percentage of male patients was ear surgery (men accounted for 39% of all ear surgery procedures).
- Nonsurgical cosmetic treatments continue to be very in-demand with men, especially Botox® Cosmetic Injections. 162,093 Botox® treatments were performed on men in 2018.
With so many outstanding options and improved, male-specific surgical techniques available, there has never been a better time for men to consider undergoing a cosmetic procedure. It has been amazing to witness firsthand the recent influx of male patients who have come into my office and left feeling more confident and satisfied with their appearance than ever before. For more information or to schedule your complimentary plastic surgery consultation with me, Dr. David Whiteman, please contact Southern Plastic Surgery today. And follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more tips, videos, news, and more from the world of plastic surgery.