In my decades of performing cosmetic surgery procedures, one thing that has remained very common is the fear that some patients have about going into surgery. Anxiety before plastic surgery is perfectly natural, even as the years have gone on and technical advancements in the field have made undergoing cosmetic surgery safer than ever before. While there is always some risk going into surgery, I have found that the risks of plastic surgery are often overblown and truly pretty minimal. I consider it part of my responsibility as a double board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure all of my patients feel as assured and confident as possible through every step of their plastic surgery journey.
For anyone feeling anxious or unsure about their upcoming plastic surgery, I recommend taking the following tips to heart:
- Find an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to perform your procedure.
- Take the time to learn as much as you can about your respective cosmetic procedure.
- Don’t keep your concerns bottled up. Discussing them in detail with your surgeon during your pre-surgery consultation appointment can be incredibly helpful.
- Look at before and after photos from your plastic surgeon for more assurance of the results you may be able to expect.
- Plan for the day of in advance. This includes rides to and from the procedure as well as any necessary assistance in the days following surgery.
- Certain relaxation techniques including meditation and breathing exercises can help reduce anxiety symptoms.
In the following video, I discuss how my surgery team and I do everything we can to help our patients feel comfortable and confident heading into their cosmetic surgery procedure:
Being able to achieve and maintain an upbeat, positive attitude before plastic surgery is always important and helpful. While some butterflies may be unavoidable, the most helpful thing in my experience is remembering the reason why you wanted the procedure in the first place and looking forward to your new appearance following your cosmetic surgery. For more information or to schedule a complimentary plastic surgery consultation, please contact me, Dr. David Whiteman, at Southern Plastic Surgery. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok for additional videos, news, and more.