After researching the basics about breast reduction, many patients want to know what to expect before undergoing surgery. Your consultation is your time to ask questions and voice your concerns regarding your procedure. We will discuss your personal cosmetic surgery goals, medical history, as well as take measurements, assess breast shape, the elasticity of the skin, and the positioning of the areola. Utilizing various surgical techniques, excess breast tissue is removed and the remaining tissue is lifted and shaped. For patients with exceptionally large breasts, I can reposition the nipple and areola to a more suitable location on the breast to produce the most aesthetically-pleasing results.
Following your consultation, you should be familiar with the procedure, the anticipated results, benefits, risks, cost, and recovery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the following questions are recommended for patients to discuss with their plastic surgeon before having a breast reduction:
- Are you board-certified in plastic and reconstructive surgery?
- How many years of plastic cosmetic surgery training have you had?
- Do you specialize in breast surgery?
- What are the benefits and risks of having a breast reduction?
- How will you perform my breast reduction procedure?
- What technique is best suited for my specific concerns?
- Where will my surgery take place?
- Can I get insurance to pay for my reduction?
- Do you have breast reduction before-and-after pictures that you have performed that I can look at?
- Will there be scarring? If so, how is it treated?
- What kind of pre and post-surgery care is expected from me in order to obtain the best results?
- How much downtime is required following my breast reduction surgery, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- When will I be able to see results?
- Will undergoing the procedure affect my ability to breastfeed?
- Is breast reduction permanent?
If you’re interested in breast reduction or other breast procedures I perform, please contact Southern Plastic Surgery, P.C. today to schedule your consultation. For the most up-to-date plastic surgery news and specials be sure to connect with me, Dr. David Whiteman, on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.