For men ranging from teenagers to seniors, gynecomastia can be the cause of considerable embarrassment and frustration. Even if their breast enlargement isn’t causing any physical distress, larger-than-normal male breasts can take a serious toll on a guy’s self-esteem and ability to feel comfortable in his own skin. This is why I perform male breast reduction surgery on patients of nearly all ages. Male breast reduction allows me to remove excess tissue to reduce the male breast. I can even use fat removed during the procedure to enhance the pectoral muscles to create a more manly physique.
Like any other cosmetic surgery procedure, male breast reduction requires planning and preparation. It’s important to take your pre-surgery consultation seriously and do plenty of research in the lead-up to your initial appointment. So think long and hard about your specific aesthetic issues and what you hope to achieve through male breast reduction. In order to help everyone maximize the potential of their male breast reduction, I have recommended some simple, essential questions to ask your plastic surgeon during your male breast reduction consultation.
- What board certifications have you earned?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- How much experience do you have performing male breast reduction surgery?
- Can I see before-and-after photos from some of your past male breast reduction patients?
- Am I a good candidate for male breast reduction?
- How long will it take to see my final male breast reduction results?
- Will my surgery require a hospital stay and, if so, at which hospitals do you have hospital privileges?
- Will I have scarring after my procedure?
- How should I prepare in the days and weeks leading up to my male breast reduction?
- How much recovery time will I need following my surgery?
I know that most patients will likely have more specific questions unique to their situation. However, these questions can provide an excellent baseline from which to begin. To help get the most out of your consultation phase, do your research and come prepared when you meet face to face with your board-certified plastic surgeon. If you would like to schedule your plastic surgery consultation with me, Dr. David Whiteman, please contact Southern Plastic Surgery today. You can also follow me on social media for even more access to everything Southern Plastic Surgery.