For many patients, when they hear “cosmetic breast surgery” the first thing that comes to mind is increasing the size of their breasts. And this is understandable considering breast augmentation remains the most popular plastic surgery for the breasts and one of the most commonly-performed cosmetic procedures. But not every patient wants larger breasts. In fact, it’s quite common for women to want the exact opposite result from their surgery. Breast reduction surgery involves the removal of tissue, fat, and skin from the breast to help provide women with a more modest breast size. I regularly perform this procedure on women who want to reduce the size of their breasts in order to achieve a better-proportioned figure. In addition to the obvious aesthetic concerns, many of my patients seek out breast reduction to remedy back and neck pain and posture issues caused by their large, heavier breasts.
As with any other cosmetic surgery procedure, preparation is crucial. This starts with researching the surgery you are considering to help determine if this specific procedure will be able to help you reach your unique goals. I highly recommend that all of my prospective breast reduction patients keep an ongoing list of questions in the days and weeks leading up to their breast reduction consultation. Asking good questions can be a great way to gain a more thorough understanding of your potential surgery and help judge the expertise of the plastic surgeon you are consulting with.
To get the most out of your breast reduction procedure, it’s important to carefully prepare for your consultation. So take your time, do your research, and ask the questions necessary to help get a better grasp of what you can expect from your plastic surgeon and breast reduction surgery. I have provided some helpful questions for breast reconstruction patients to ask their plastic surgeons about this procedure:
- Are you board-certified? If so, what plastic surgery boards are you certified by?
- What makes someone a good candidate for breast reduction?
- What hospitals do you have privileges to perform this procedure?
- Does a breast lift make more sense for my specific needs?
- How long have you been performing breast reduction procedures?
- Do you have before-and-after photos from past breast reduction surgeries that I can see?
- What are the most common risks and complications associated with breast reduction?
- How much time will I need to recover from breast reduction and what kind of assistance will I need during my recovery?
- Will breast reduction surgery affect my ability to breastfeed in the future?
- What is the extent of post-surgery pain and scarring following breast reduction surgery?
These are just some of the many factors patients need to consider before making any decisions about breast reduction surgery. Using your consultation to communicate and establish a trusting relationship with your board-certified plastic surgeon is a crucial step towards achieving the aesthetic alteration that you desire. For more information about breast reduction or to schedule a complimentary plastic surgery consultation today, please contact me, Dr. David Whiteman at Southern Plastic Surgery today. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ for cosmetic surgery tips, news, photos, and more.