Breast augmentation is a very safe and effective cosmetic procedure for women who want to increase the size and volume of their breasts. Results from breast augmentation are typically long-lasting. However, long-lasting does not mean “forever” and it’s possible that a complication like capsular contracture may occur at some point down the road. Additionally, it’s not uncommon for a breast augmentation patient’s personal preference in breast size to change some time after her procedure. For women who are unsatisfied with the results of their breast augmentation, or those who want a change, I perform breast revision surgery. By removing and/or replacing your original breast implants, breast revision can help alter the results of your previous breast augmentation and help you achieve a new, rejuvenated figure.
Much like any other cosmetic surgery procedure, preparation is critical before breast revision. This starts by taking some time to research your procedure options to help determine the right surgery for your unique goals. The next step is consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Asking good questions during your consultation is critical to both gain a more thorough understanding of your potential surgery and help judge the qualifications of the plastic surgeon you are consulting with. To avoid forgetting anything important, I always recommend breast revision patients keep an ongoing list of questions and concerns in the days leading up to their consultation. As a guide, I have provided some helpful questions for breast revision patients to ask during consultation:
- Are you board-certified in plastic surgery?
- Based on my needs, am I a good candidate for breast revision?
- How much experience do you have performing breast revision surgery?
- Do you have before-and-after photos from past breast revision procedures that I can see?
- Will breast revision create additional scarring?
- What risks or complications do I need to be aware of?
- What hospitals do you have privileges to perform my surgery?
- How much time will I need to recover after breast revision and what kind of assistance will I require during my recovery?
- Will breast revision require a hospital stay?
No matter what procedure I am performing, the goal is always to help my patients achieve the most outstanding, long-lasting aesthetic results possible. Regardless of the reason why, if you’re not 100% satisfied with the results of your previous breast augmentation, breast revision surgery may be able to help. For more information on breast revision or to schedule your complimentary plastic surgery consultation, please contact me, Dr. David Whiteman, at Southern Plastic Surgery today. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Google+ for more cosmetic surgery news, tips, and updates.