When considering breast augmentation surgery, it is comforting to know there are numerous options available in today’s market to provide the best fit for each individual.  According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2012, 62% of breast augmentation procedures used silicone implants while the remaining 38% chose to use saline implants.  California-based manufacturer Sientra received FDA approval for their innovative brand of highly cohesive silicone breast implants in March 2012, and is the third approved manufacturer of breast implants along with Mentor and Allergan.breast implants atlanta georgia

The high demand for more natural-looking breast implants makes Sientra’s implants appealing for certain breast augmentation candidates.  With concerns towards silicone implants being prone to ruptures and leaking, some candidates choose saline implants which are filled with saline solution and can pose fewer complication risks since the solution can be absorbed into the body safely, should the implant rupture.  Saline implants were also the only previous option for a shaped implant versus the round silicone option, until now.  Some describe the Sientra implants as having similar qualities to the coined term “gummy bear” implants, which describes the thick cohesive nature of the implants as well as the improved shape retention allowing a softer, more natural feel.  Women looking to correct sagging or to augment breasts may find Sientra’s options more appealing as some believe its features can result in a better projection of the breasts among patients, according to initial patient feedback.

Dr. David Whiteman believes each candidate’s body is uniquely built and there isn’t a “one size fits all” method to choosing implants.  Choosing a board certified plastic surgeon will help minimize concerns about the best fit for your body and risks involved with a breast augmentation procedure.  Since implants are measured in volume and not by cup sizes, it is important to consult a surgeon that will help you decide which implant would best fit while taking height, weight, original breast size and rib cage size into consideration for achieving your desired look.

Dr. Whiteman offers traditional saline and silicone as well as Sientra’s cohesive gel implant at Southern Plastic Surgery and considers each candidate’s needs and goals when helping them select a breast implant type.  To view photos of some of Dr. Whiteman’s previous breast augmentation procedures, check out the before and after gallery.  Please call us at 770-622-9100 to schedule a consultation if you are interested in learning more about breast augmentation benefits and options.  Also, be sure to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for the latest information on plastic surgery and the many offerings at Southern Plastic Surgery.