The holidays are for spending time with family, shopping for gifts, attending holiday parties, and indulging in your favorite foods. As most people find this time of year to be the busiest, we often struggle to pay a visit to the gym. It’s important to not let your jam-packed schedule hinder you from reaching your weight loss goals. Even if you’re considering cosmetic surgery procedures such as liposuction, tummy tuck, or mommy makeover, it is still important to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to produce aesthetically-pleasing cosmetic surgery results. Here are some tips for staying fit and motivated this holiday season:
- Schedule a block of time for your workouts:Take a look at your calendar and schedule in time for your workout. This may mean missing something else on your agenda, but it will be worth it in the long run. Set reminders on your phone so you won’t forget, even on your busiest days.
- Get creative with your exercises: Whether you’re spending the holidays traveling or if you’re stuck inside because you’ve been snowed in, it’s difficult to stick to your usual exercise routine. Perhaps your flight gets delayed; find a space and stretch, do pushups, sit ups, or walk the terminal. As another alternative, try interval jumping jacks or running in place in your living room. You can also get plenty of cardio while shopping at the mall!
- Sweat out the stress: It is known that stress is one of the leading causes of weight gain and noticeable signs of aging. Yoga is an excellent and sufficient way to decrease seasonal stress while improving strength, flexibility, and balance. As soon as you wake up in the morning, spend about half an hour doing a few relaxation and breathing exercises in order to diminish any tension in your body.
- Make the most of your “off” day: Everyone has days that they slip up on their workout routine. Instead of vegging out in front of the television, use the time slot to enjoy some quiet time by reading a book, listen to music, or treat yourself to a day at the spa. Remember not to get down on yourself for skipping, instead, schedule a day off from your workout plan to rest, just be sure to practice self-control and start again the next day.
- Limit holiday treats:Holiday foods are packed with calories. It is acceptable to enjoy these foods in moderation, but it’s important to not overindulge. People often make the mistake of not eating all day so that they can let loose at a holiday party. Instead, eat a healthy snack before going out to avoid eating extra calories to compensate for your hunger. Exercising in the morning will also help you provide some calorie wiggle room at the party.
- Set goals: Get a head start on your New Year’s resolutions and set some goals. Setting goals is important and beneficial, but they need to be realistic. There’s no need to set yourself up for disappointment.
Staying fit over the holidays is all about self-control and moderation. I believe that exercise is an important part of overall health and wellness, and plastic surgery should not replace any exercise plan. If you’re looking to make the first steps towards healthy lifestyle changes, our in-house NESTA Weight Management Specialist, Jackie Madison is here to help. With the Lifestyle & Weight Management program, Jackie will help coach you through your pre- and post-surgery time period by teaching you how to commit to an active lifestyle, achieve weight loss and weight management goals, provide effective eating habits, manage your time and assist with battling stress. If you are interested in any of the cosmetic procedures I perform, please contact Southern Plastic Surgery, P.C. today. Be sure to connect with me, Dr. David Whiteman, on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more plastic surgery news.