Our time is valuable and for many of my hard-working patients, extended recovery time is not ideal. One of the most popular topics I generally cover during consultations is how long it will take to recover once the surgery has been successfully performed. While you have to keep in mind that every person’s body will heal differently, I’ve come up with an average timeline for recovery for my patients whether they choose facial rejuvenation, breast enhancement, and body contouring procedures. Since this month’s featured procedure is the ever-popular Mommy Makeover – if you had to answer how long does it take to recover from Mommy Makeover, what would you guess?
In case you’re not familiar, let’s start with the benefits of a Mommy Makeover:
- Can help restore a pre-baby physique for mothers who’ve experienced changes to their body during/after carrying their child.
- Even if you’re not a mother, Mommy Makeovers can benefit patients who have experienced physical changes to their body from aging and/or significant weight gain/loss.
- A combination procedure that typically includes body contouring (tummy tuck and liposuction) and breast enhancement (breast augmentation or breast lift).
- Since the procedures are performed simultaneously during the Mommy Makeover, you only have to go through one comprehensive recovery process versus first procedure then heal, second procedure then heal, etc.
- This is an outpatient procedure meaning, you’re in and out the same day as your procedure (since you don’t have to stay in the hospital AND you’re combining procedures it means you’re not paying double the required hospital fees – such as anesthesia, surgical fees, and medication).
- Natural-looking Mommy Makeover results will reveal a slimmer, more-contoured waistline and breasts that are not only proportionate to your frame, but also perky and youthful.
What should your expectations be regarding Mommy Makeover recovery?
The best thing you can do for yourself is to follow the pre and post-operative instructions I send you home with. I’ve heard time and time again from patients that the overall experience was a lot less strenuous than they may have assumed. In my over 22 years of experience as a double-board certified plastic surgeon, I firmly believe in giving my patient’s all the tools they need to increase their overall happiness with their results. Using highly-specialized surgical techniques (like the Scarpa Fascia Advancement technique for tummy tucks that I use to specifically reduce recovery time for my patients), combined with diligent effort from the patient to follow the recovery recommendations I provide, you’re more likely to increase your overall success with your procedure.