Check out this healthy, anti-oxidant rich recipe submitted by Southern Plastic Surgery patient and Life After the Fight member JoAnn Stegagno. JoAnn is a personal chef who specializes in preparing anti-cancer and healing recipes through her company Dinner’s Ready!
For exercise advice for the beginner or the advanced athlete, visit personal trainer Daryl Madison’s website at chairacise.com.
Oven Roasted Winter Vegetables
1- 1/4 pound(s) rutabaga
1 pound(s) carrot
1 pound(s) onion
1 pound(s) yam, fresh
15 large garlic cloves, whole
7 sage leaves. fresh, whole
4 rosemary sprigs, fresh
4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Place a large roasting pan in oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel rutabagas, carrots, onions, and yams.
- Cut vegetables into large pieces (make yam pieces larger than the other vegetables so they will cook faster.)
- Place vegetables in a large bowl with whole, un-peeled garlic cloves and fresh herbs. Mix well.
- Separate out the herbed yams and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Toss yams in the olive oil to coat and set aside.
- Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over the herbed rutabagas, onions, and carrots. Toss to coat well.
- Remove heated roasting pan from oven. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan and place herbed rutabagas, onions, carrots, and unpeeled garlic onto the pan (keep yams separate).
- Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and add herbed yams.
- Return pan to oven and roast vegetables until tender when pierced with fork (about 30 to 40 minutes) stirring occasionally with a spatula.
If you are trying to live a truly healthy and fit lifestyle, diet alone is a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure. While diet is an essential part of any health plan, you must not ignore the fitness aspect of health – which includes keeping up with a regular exercise routine. Because it is so important for plastic surgery patients to maintain their health before and after surgery, Dr. Whiteman of Southern Plastic Surgery would like to introduce Daryl Madison, personal trainer and fitness expert in the local Atlanta area.
Daryl Madison is an American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certified Personal Trainer and owner of Lifestyle Fitness- an in-home personal training company. With 10 years of experience in personal training and numerous certifications, Daryl can help any patient get on the road to the best shape of their life.
For those who don’t have the time or money for personal training, but still need and want help with a regular exercise routine, Daryl has created the Chair-A-Cise exercise DVD series. Chair-A-Cise is a fitness program that is customizable to ALL fitness levels; and the unique thing about this fitness program is that all of the exercises can be performed while seated in a chair. This makes it perfect for beginners, the overweight, the elderly or anyone easing into an exercise routine after surgery. By adding simple hand weights the exercises, Chair-A-Cise also transforms into a rigorous fitness routine, challenging even to the most fit and athletic of people.
Daryl’s fitness expertise has been featured in several Atlanta Journal Constitution and DeKalb News Sun articles and he has also been featured on an episode of CW Network’s Ultimate Makeover series.
Feel free to contact Daryl at 404-272-3996 if you would like to set up a personal training session and visit the Chair-A-Cise website if you are interested in DVDs.
This blog should serve as a reminder that you cannot neglect your health, especially when getting a cosmetic surgery procedure! Visit our recently launched Health and Wellness Section for more exercise tips, nutrition tips, and healthy recipes.