Overall health and wellness plays a major part in the results that can be achieved with plastic surgery. Plastic surgeons can enhance a patient’s appearance, but it’s up to the patient to maintain results. In addition to performing plastic surgery procedures like liposuction and tummy tucks, plastic surgeons should educate patients on health and wellness. In fact, Southern Plastic Surgery has partnered with Daryl Madison, ACE certified personal trainer and creator of the Chair-A-Cise workout program, to help patients with diet and exercise programs. It’s important to keep in mind that maintaining a healthy lifestyle will not only benefit you, it will also teach your children healthy habits for their future.
However, encouraging healthy habits can be tough for parents because kids don’t seem to like anything that’s healthy (i.e.- health foods and exercise), which is why we suggest making it fun for them. Making healthy meals exciting for your children to eat can also help you stick with the program too. Choose foods with a variety of colors—not only will it encourage your children to eat, but the most nutritious foods are typically the most colorful (take fruits and veggies for example).
Just like planning a healthy meal, it’s also important to make exercise fun for your children. In fact, it is best not to even refer to it as “exercise” in front of the kids. Instead, plan “fun, outdoor activities”. Spring is the perfect time to get the family outdoors and moving. The temperature is neither too hot nor too cold, and the sun sets later. Here’s a list of ideas for spring family fun:
- Incorporate a family walk into your dinner routine. (Some say to go before dinner to help curb your appetite, while others say a walk after dinner will help digestion. Let your family decide what works best for your routine.)
- Visit the park.
- Play a sport that your family enjoys. Soccer, basketball, kickball, baseball, or a game of catchhave great cardiovascular benefits.
- Go for a hike and take a picnic lunch. (Be sure to prepare a healthy lunch and take lots of water!)
- Ride bikes.
- Jump rope.
- Fly a kite on a breezy, spring day.
- Plant a vegetable garden together. (This gets your family off the couch and provides healthier food choices for later.)
There are so many ways to get your family active, and most of the activities mentioned above are relatively cheap (if not free). These activities don’t just help you get the family active, they will also help your family form a stronger bond.
Hopefully, you’ll find these family health and wellness tips helpful and enjoy spring activities with your family. If you’re interested in learning more about the plastic surgery procedures that Dr. David Whiteman offers at Southern Plastic Surgery, visit my website and keep reading my blog.