As we say goodbye to 2014, it is that time of year to say hello to our New Year’s Resolutions. While many of us make big promises for the upcoming year, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep these promises to ourselves in the midst of our busy lives. Not unexpectedly, we often forget or give up within the first few weeks, if not sooner. So how do you stick to your 2015 resolutions? Southern Plastic Surgery, P.C. offers the following tips:
- Be realistic!You know what you are and are not capable of. While you may like to push yourself, be aware of what is realistically possible with your other responsibilities.
- Make your goals manageable. You may have big dreams in mind for 2015, but make sure to break up this huge goal into realistic and manageable steps or benchmarks. For example, if you are trying to lose 30 pounds, break it down to working out 5 times a week or losing 8 pounds in the first 2 months.
I understand that maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen is not always easy. If you need that little extra push to jumpstart your healthy lifestyle plan, our in-house NESTA Weight Management Specialist, Jackie Madison is here to help. With the Lifestyle & Weight Management program, Jackie will help coach you through your pre- and post-surgery time period by teaching you how to commit to an active lifestyle, achieve weight loss and weight management goals, provide effective eating habits, manage your time and assist with battling stress.
- Seek support.It is much easier to complete a goal if you have the support of a friend or loved one. They can offer encouragement or give you motivation to keep going. Team up with a buddy and track your progress together, and you will more likely see success. Besides friends, there are tons of mobile apps out there to help you out with tips on how to achieve specific goals while also tracking them.
- Know it is okay to make some mistakes.People who experience a setback in their initial goal have a tendency to just give up and throw the entire goal out of the window. Just because you go on one vacation and spend more money than you should, doesn’t mean you should throw out your resolution to spend less money this year.
- Tell people about it. If you announce your resolution to people other than yourself, you will feel more accountable in fulfilling it. Tell your friends, post it on your blog or Facebook, or join a support group. If you keep your resolution a secret, no one will know if you don’t succeed – giving you less motivation.
- Don’t get discouraged.If 2015 comes around and you haven’t exactly lived up to your own 2014 expectations, use that as a learning experience and try again. You may need a more realistic goal or just some more motivation.
As you know, many New Year’s resolutions have to do with weight loss or looking your best for the upcoming year. At Southern Plastic Surgery, P.C., we offer full cosmetic and surgery services. Whether you want to look and feel younger with cosmetic injectables, wish to feel more confident with a breast augmentation or touch-up areas of the body that are resistant to diet and exercise with liposuction, I can consult with you on the best treatment plan possible.
If you are interested in any of the cosmetic procedures I perform, please contact us today for a consultation. Be sure to also connect with me, Dr. David Whiteman on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more of the latest plastic surgery trends and news.
Time after time we make New Year’s resolutions with the goal of improving our lives within the next year. We have the best intentions in thinking this year will be different: we will get our finances straightened out this year; we will start exercising and eating healthier this year, etc. With the help of Atlanta plastic surgeon Dr. David Whiteman and personal trainer Daryl Madison, this year can be different. Dr. Whiteman believes diet and exercise go hand in hand with plastic surgery because they both enhance quality of life. Daryl, the founder of Atlanta personal training company Lifestyle fitness and developer of the Chair-A-Cise workout program, has been helping to enhance the lives of Atlantans for nearly a decade.
As one could probably guess, diet and weight loss resolutions are at the top of many 2011 resolution lists. One problem with these resolutions is that most people are unsure where to start. When people start a workout program, they are either afraid to do too much and don’t do enough, or over-do it the first day, making the next few workouts harder than they should be. If you want to get in shape this year, we suggest starting at your doctor’s office. It is important to know what physical shape you are in before you start a new work out program. Once you speak to your doctor, find a program that will ease you into a routine: a progressive system like Daryl’s Chair-A-Cise fitness program may be a good place to start.
Chair-A-Cise is suitable for people of all ages and all fitness levels. More experienced athletes can simply add weight to increase their workout. Daryl suggests that beginners start out with no (or minimal) weight. There are four DVDs in the Chair-A-Cise program: the original Chair-A-Cise, Chair-A-Cise 2, Chair-A-Cise Abs, and Chair-A-Cise Turbo. Each of these DVDs can be purchased on the Chair-A-Cise website, individually or as a package. While the Chair-a-cise package is an investment, Daryl reminds his client that it’s easier to stay motivated about exercise when you incorporate multiple routines into your workout plan.
If your diet is also in need of a little revision, Daryl also has a selection of 3 day, 6 day, and 10 week quick weight loss plans to jump-start your healthy lifestyle this year. Dr. Whiteman recommends Chair-A-Cise to plastic surgery patients who are looking for an easy to follow workout routine or just a better way to get in shape. Because plastic surgery patients must take time to rest after surgery their fitness routines are often interrupted. Chair-A-Cise can help them ease back into regular exercise after a major procedure (after a board certified plastic surgeon gives them permission to commence).
So this is your year to redeem yourself by sticking to your resolutions. If your resolutions are to get rid of wrinkles or reclaim your pre-baby body, be sure to contact Dr. Whiteman’s office to schedule your consultation for facial rejuvenation, facelift, or mommy makeover surgery. For more information on plastic surgery procedures Dr. Whiteman offers, please visit his website and keep reading the blog for health and wellness and plastic surgery news.
Dedicated to beauty, both inside and out, Dr. David Whiteman of Southern Plastic Surgery often advises cosmetic surgery patients to follow an exercise regime both before and following any procedure to facilitate healing and further enhance their satisfaction with their surgical results. Read below for some of our latest exercise tips.
Summer is a difficult season for exercise, especially here in the notorious Atlanta heat. However, here are some easy and creative ideas for summer workouts that can get you outside.
Swimming – You don’t have to own a pool to swim. There are many public pools around Atlanta that are open in the mornings for lap swimmers. Swimming is a great way to burn a ton of calories in very little time. It’s a great morning workout routine as it wakes you up and really gets you ready to start the day. Many YMCA’s have outdoor pools in addition to their workout facilities, so if a public pool is far from your house, there are other options for swimming as well.
Biking – Biking, no matter where, is a great form of exercise, because just like swimming it can help burn lots of calories with little time commitment. In the summer heat, the best biking paths are on trails. All over the Atlanta area, city parks offer bike trails. They’re usually shaded by trees and can be a cool alternative to pavement. Sometimes following a river or stream, you can burn easily burn calories while enjoying the scenery.
Subscribe to Dr. Whiteman’s blog for the latest plastic surgery news and health and wellness tips. Should you wish to learn more about the procedures Dr. Whiteman offers or to schedule a consultation contact his office or visit his website.