Having options is great because in my opinion, it reduces the sense of restrictedness when having to pick among several things that we may truly want. Once women reach the point in their life when they’re finished with pregnancy/childbirth, or after years of waiting to finally decide to reclaim their youthful body from top to bottom, this is the ideal time to consider more comprehensive procedures. Two of the top most popular procedures among the 30 and over crowd (but keep in mind it’s not exclusive to this group by any means) has become the Mommy Makeover and Grammy Makeover procedures. Most notably known for combining multiple procedures into one procedure, these two offer great benefits for helping patients attain a younger-looking appearance, but what’s the difference between a Mommy Makeover and Grammy Makeover?
Mommy Makeover got its name because it focuses on common areas of the body that physically change from the effects of pregnancy, childbirth, and weight gain/loss. This procedure combines breast and body contouring procedures and patients can choose from:
- Breast Augmentation – to increase the overall size of the breasts using breast implants
- Breast Lift – to reduce excess skin and fat from drooping breasts and raising them to a higher, more proportionate, position on the chest (can also be combined with a breast augmentation)
- Liposuction – to permanently remove accumulated fat cells and refine the shape of the midsection, thighs, chin, arms, and buttocks
- Tummy Tuck – to remove excess skin and fat of the abdominal region, and also re-tighten muscles that have weakened or separated during pregnancy
With maturity comes more noticeably greater effects of natural aging and gravity that contribute to deeper wrinkles, perpetually tired-looking appearances, under-eye bags, sagging skin, and more. For this reason, a Grammy Makeover extends beyond the four procedures mentioned above for the Mommy Makeover – this time, combining nonsurgical and surgical options for the face, breasts, and body. In addition to breast augmentation/lift, liposuction and tummy tucks, a Grammy Makeover can include:
- Hand Rejuvenation w/ Radiesse® – temporarily plumps up skeletal thin skin on the back of the hand instantly with the cosmetic injectable Radiesse® (results can generally last 1-2 years)
- Browlift – smoothes the skin above/around the eyes & on the forehead by repositioning sagging eyebrows and raising upper lids
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) – removes excess fat, tissue, and skin around the eyes to give a more rested appearance
- Facelift – tightens sagging skin and smoothes wrinkles on the face (mainly around the cheeks, neck, and jowls) and/or repositions facial tissue
- Neck Lift – removes excess fat from the chin and neck, eliminates hanging, and tightens what’s remaining for a smoother finish
- Arm Lift – removes extra skin and fat (targeting the dreaded bat wings) before tightening remaining skin for a toned appearance
- Fat Transfer – uses liposuction to remove fat from a donor site (typically the abdomen, thighs, or buttocks) that is purified and re-injected into areas of the body that have lost volume, such as the face and buttocks
There are options for how you’d like your groceries bagged, which gas station you’ll fuel up at, what hair color you’d like to choose, and so much more – so why shouldn’t the same inclusion apply to plastic surgery? Not every cosmetic plastic surgery procedure allows the same type of customizing freedom like a Mommy Makeover or Grammy Makeover, but the appeal of being able to hand select the procedures that will go into your final plastic surgery results are something many patients really appreciate knowing they have the ability to do. If you’re interested in learning more about Mommy Makeover, Grammy Makeover, or any of the other facial, breast, and body procedures performed by me, Dr. David Whiteman, don’t hesitate to contact Southern Plastic Surgery today.